At Seward County Community College, we value our global diversity for the enrichment it lends to all our students' educational experiences. SCCC offers an environment that empowers your academic success because of the individual support you receive.  Please read all information below for more information on how to become an international student at Seward County Community College.



Time Lines:

For attendance at SCCC for the specified semester, required documentation should be on file by:

Fall Semester (beginning in August) - All paperwork on file by July 1

Spring Semester (beginning in January) - All paperwork on file by November 1

Summer Semester (beginning end of May) - All paperwork on file by April 1


Documents to be Submitted to SCCC:

International Students interested in attending Seward County Community College (SCCC) must meet all admission requirements as stated in the SCCC College Catalog and on the web-site. The following documents must be submitted in order to be accepted for admission and for a Certificate of Eligibility (INS Form I-20) to be issued:


Application for Admission

- - Plus a $100 International Student Application Fee (non-refundable).

The $100 application fee is used to offset some of the costs of International Student processing and completing forms required for admission. The payment should be made by money order in U.S. Dollars, payable to Seward County Community College.

-  Official Transcripts - High School & College - original language and a certified copy, translated into English.

SCCC requires proof of graduation from an accredited high school or secondary level institution, or a certificate of equivalency from a recognized agency. This documentation should be an official, certified copy in English and should state the graduation date.

Students who have previous college credit in their home countries are encouraged to provide those transcripts to SCCC. 

To receive credit for coursework done in another country, you will need to request a course-by-course evaluation be done on your transcript by a NACES or AICE member organization, then request that the evaluation be sent to Seward County Community College.  The list of NACES & AICE organizations can be found here: and


 - Proof of Financial Support - from family/financial institution/sponsor. Must be in English and show U.S. Dollars.

 - Financial Resource Statement - Please contact the DSO/Assistant Registrar for this form.

 - SCCC Scholarship Application (If interested in applying for a scholarship)

At the present time, international students can only apply for an Academic Distinction Scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship the student must have a cumulative 3.5 GPA (all prior college hours are figured into the GPA). First time freshmen will only be eligible if their high school transcript shows that they graduated with a 3.5 GPA (this may require the transcript to be transcribed). Scholarships are awarded on the availability of funds and a first come, first served basis. A scholarship application should be returned by the priority date listed on the scholarship application.

- SCCC Student Living Center Contract (Scholarship recipients are required to reside in student housing)

- Proof of health insurance coverage with a U.S. company.

Proof of health insurance coverage with a United States insurance company is strongly recommended in the process of receiving an I-20 to attend Seward County Community College (SCCC).

While SCCC does NOT endorse any particular health insurance company/association, SCCC does belong to the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC). AACC is just one of the associations /companies that endorse health insurance plans for international students.

If you choose to review the health plan endorsed by the American Association of Community Colleges, go to or call 800-367-5830.

- Personal health records that include immunization/vaccination records.

- Recommended Vaccinations - The Immunization Program of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment recommends that all college students be immunized against:

  • Tetanus
  • Diphtheria
  • Hepatitis B
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox)
  • Influenza
  • Measles, Mumps, & Rubella

It is also recommended that students in the health professions have additional protection against:

  • Polio
  • Tuberculosis

* The American Health Association states "college students (living in residence halls) should consider vaccination against Meningococcal Disease."

* An exclusion policy is recommended for deficient students, with only medical or religious exemptions.



Proof of Financial Support:

USCIS Regulations require students to provide sufficient proof of financial support to pay for the educational costs listed by the college. This documentation must be received by SCCC before an I-20 can be issued to the student. Specific information should be supplied on the Financial Resource Statement. The statement must be accompanied by two months of detailed bank statements OR a letter from your bank on letterhead, signed by a bank official, stating the average balance for the most recent two months.


Estimate of Student Expenses:

Amount is based on 15 credit hours per semester for the Fall and Spring. Tuition/fees/books/supplies will increase when more hours are taken.

2019/2020 Academic Year

  • Tuition and Fees ($145/credit hour) $4,350
  • Room and Board (with roommate - 19 meals per week included) $5,110
  • Books and Supplies $1,600
  • Health Insurance $300
  • Misc.expenses (personal items, transportation, etc.) $1,500
  • TOTAL $12,860


Payment of Student Account:

Students are expected to pay for tuition, fees, books, and student housing costs that are incurred at the beginning of each semester. Students with a delinquent account are subject to cancellation of their enrollment and termination as a student at Seward County Community College.


English Proficiency:

Students must provide proof of English Proficiency.  Acceptable proof includes:

A secondary school transcript showing successful completion of an English course OR a certificate of the Test of English as a Foreign Language. If the TOEFL is taken, students must score a minimum of: 

  • Internet Based Test - 61
  • OR
  • Paper-delivered test - 500

Students will be required to take the Accuplacer placement test to determine skill level for placement into college level classes. If Accuplacer scores indicate the need, students may be asked to enroll in the appropriate English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.


In-Status Classification

The United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations require International Students with an F-1 Visa attending college in the United States to maintain full-time student status each semester.

The USCIS defines "In-Status" classification as completion of 12 credit hours each semester (Fall and Spring). An F-1 student must be "In-Status" to be eligible for any benefits such as work permit for practical training, program extension, school transfer, and adjustment of status.

If a student wishes to take any classes online, the student MUST be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credit hours on campus. International students may only take 1 online class per semester.


Student Housing

International Students who receive institutional scholarships are required to live in college housing.

Cost for the academic year is $5,110 for a double occupancy room and 19 meals per week or 6,110 for a single occupancy room (based upon availability) and 19 meals per week. (This is the rate for 2019-2020. Rates are subject to change for the next academic year.)

The Student Living Center is conveniently located on campus and close to the Cafeteria, the Student Union, classrooms and the library. Campus Security patrols the Student Living Center along with the entire campus.

All student housing facilities are relatively new construction furnished with beds, desks, chests, bookcases, etc. Students must provide their own sheets, blankets, towels, etc. A signed Student Housing Contract and a $100 room deposit is required; payment for one semester is expected before a student moves in. The following amenities are provided within the contract price:

  • spacious rooms with individual climate control
  • elevator
  • lighted parking lot
  • internet 
  • security cameras
  • computer lab
  • student lounges
  • student study room
  • game room with TV
  • outdoor basketball court
  • ice machine & vending machines



Employment of International Students:

Students working on-campus must obtain a Social Security card before they can work. In order to obtain a social security card, students must:

Go the Financial Aid Office and fill out the International Student Work-Study Interest form.

Check the Financial Aid website to see what positions are open on-campus AVAILABLE POSITIONS

Find a position you are interested in and contact the supervisor through phone or email. If you secure a job, you will need to get a Job Authorization form from the Financial Aid Office and have the supervisor sign it.

Go to the Registrar's Office and tell the Assistant Registrar that you will need to get a social security card. She will provide you with letters to take to the Social Security office in Dodge City, KS.

Go to the Social Security Office. Take the letters from the Assistant Registrar, your I-20, I-94, Visa, and Passport.

Students may only work 10 hours/week during the fall and spring terms.


Students may work 20 hours/week during the summer school terms.


Students interested in working off-campus:


Must first seek on-campus employment.

Must have attended college in the United States for one full academic year.

Apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for Employment Authorization. If approved, the work permit is good for a maximum of one year. In order to apply, you must:

Show severe economic hardship due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control.

Be in good academic standing.

Be enrolled in a full course of study (at least 12 credit hours).

Ask the Assistant Registrar to print a new I-20 so you may apply for Employment Authorization.

Complete an I-765. Information on this can be found here

*Submit the following with the I-765:

New I-20 for Employment Authorization, printed by Assistant Registrar.

A letter stating why you need to work off-campus. The letter must state the nature of the academic hardship you are facing that is beyond your control and was not an issue when you first became a student with an F-1 Visa. The letter must also state how working will not adversely impact your ability to attend school full-time and maintain good academic standing.

A letter from your sponsor explaining the loss of support, illness in the family, political or natural catastrophe.

Bank statements - 3 months worth, in English, with U.S. Dollars.

Budget - 3 months worth, showing income & expenses

Copy of Passport

Copy of Visa & I-94


$380 check or money order, made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

*The I-765 payment can be submitted online; all other documents must be mailed to the USCIS.


Transfer Information:


International Students with a valid Form I-20 seeking to transfer to SCCC from another college must follow the standard admissions procedures outlined above. Students must also request their current college/university transfer their I-20 to SCCC once the standard admissions procedures have been completed.

Transcripts from all institutions attended must be received by SCCC before you will be allowed to enroll.

Intent to Transfer form must be completed by the student & current school, then sent to SCCC.


International Students at SCCC seeking a transfer to another college must meet the admission requirements of that college which will include the USCIS "In-Status" classification at SCCC.

Request that your official SCCC transcript be sent to the college/university where you have applied.

Transcript Request Form

Once accepted to another school, request that your I-20 be sent to that school.



An International Student who fails to maintain a full course of study each semester will be reported to the USCIS District Office in Wichita, Kansas as "out of status"; this classification requires the International Student to apply to USCIS for reinstatement. The reinstatement process involves sending the USCIS District Office a completed USCIS Form I-539 and requires numerous documents to be enclosed, including evidence of financial support, an official transcript verifying continued full-time enrollment, the original current I-94 card, original I-20, passport and visa, new I-20, a letter from the student explaining the circumstances, a personal check or money order for $290 made payable to USCIS, and any additional supporting evidence.

The USCIS will make a decision and notify the International Student as well as the college. If the student is reinstated, the I-20 and I-94 will be marked "Reinstatement Approved" and dated and returned to the student. If the student is not reinstated, a date of voluntary departure will be issued by which time the student must leave the United States and return to their home; this action of deportation is usually within 30 days of notification and may not be appealed


Exit Information:

Upon completion of your program of study, you will have 60 days to return to your home country.

In order to return to the U.S. and study, you will need to apply for admission and obtain a new SEVIS I-20/ DS-2019.

Upon completion, you must complete an Exit Form and submit it to the Assistant Registrar.




Staging Enabled